WH: Trump ‘Strongly Condemns’ Violent Meme

By Melanie Arter | October 14, 2019 | 3:44pm EDT
(Photo by Nicholas Kamm / AFP/Getty Images)

(CNSNews.com) – The White House on Monday “strongly” condemned a video shown at pro-Trump group American Priority’s conference at Trump National Doral resort in Florida over the weekend, which depicted President Donald Trump as a gunman murdering journalists.

The video, which was shown in “a side room” at AMPFest 19, featured the president’s face superimposed over that of the gunman, who is seen shooting people whose faces were replaced with the names of media outlets and liberal groups such as Black Lives Matter.

White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham tweeted Monday that the president had not yet seen the video, but he plans to, and “based on everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video.

“Re: the video played over the weekend: The @POTUS @realDonaldTrump has not yet seen the video, he will see it shortly, but based upon everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video,” Grisham tweeted.

 

 


The White House Correspondents’ Association released a statement on Sunday, calling on Trump to denounce the video.

“The WHCA is horrified by a video reportedly shown over the weekend at a political conference organized by the President’s supporters at the Trump National Doral in Miami. All Americans should condemn this depiction of violence directed toward journalists and the President’s political opponents. We have previously told the President his rhetoric could incite violence. Now we call on him and everybody associated with this conference to denounce this video and affirm that violence has no place in our society,” Jonathan Karl, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, and ABC White House correspondent, said in a statement.

Meanwhile, American Priority released a statement, explaining that the video was “unauthorized” and “was shown in a side room at # AMPFest 19.” The video was not seen or approved by organizers and only found out about the video when The New York Times contacted them for comment.

“It has come to our attention that an unauthorized video was shown in a side room at # AMPFest 19. This video was not approved, seen, or sanctioned by the #AMPFest 19 organizers. The organizers of # AMPFest 19 were not even aware of the video until they were contacted by the NYT,” organizer Alex Phillips said in a statement.

“The first time anyone officially associated with #AMPFest 19 was made aware of the video was when the NYT requested comment. We find it shocking that the New York Times would not report on any of the sanctioned events in the article. Including our panel conversation LITERALLY condemning political violence while claiming to be upset over a meme that was not sanctioned, shown on stage, or approved. #AMPFest 19 always has and always will condemn political violence. And proof of this was our major panel discussion on this very topic at #AMPFest 19,” Phillips added.

 

CNSNews Reader,

The liberal media are terrified of the truth, especially when it leads to uncomfortable questions about their own leftist worldview.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism — not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews relies on the support of our loyal readers to keep providing the news and commentary that matter to the American people, not just stories that prop up the liberal agenda.

Make a donation today. Just $15 a month would make a tremendous impact and enable us to keeping shining the light where the liberal media are afraid to tread.

— The CNSNews Team

DONATE

Connect

Sign up for our CNSNews.com E-Brief to receive the latest news.