(CNSNews.com) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that she will not allow President Donald Trump to deliver his state of the Union address from the House floor next week.
In a letter to the president, Pelosi wrote, “I am writing to inform you that the House of Representatives will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the president’s State of the Union address in the House Chamber until government has opened.”
After Pelosi’s letter was sent, Trump told reporters he’s “not surprised” by Pelosi’s reaction, adding, “It’s really a shame what’s happening with the Democrats. They’ve become radicalized.”
“They don’t want to see crime stopped, which we can very easily do on the southern border. It really is a shame what’s happening with the Democrats. This will go on for a while. Ultimately, the American people will have their way because they want to see no crime. They want to see what we’re doing, like today, we lowered prescription drug prices – first time in 50 years,” he said. “They want to see that.
“The Democrats would never have been able to do that. We’re all working very hard. We’ll have to respond to it. We’ll respond to it in a timely manner,” the president said.
Trump had sent a letter to Pelosi earlier in the day, saying he planned to move forward with the State of the Union address despite Pelosi’s opposition on the grounds of security concerns. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) had introduced a concurrent resolution to the House to allow the speech to go on as planned on Jan. 29. Trump said there were “no security concerns” associated with the address.
“Therefore, I will be honoring your invitation, and fulfilling my Constitutional duty, to deliver important information to the people and Congress of the United States of America regarding the State of our Union,” Trump wrote. “I look forward to seeing you on the evening on January 29th in the Chamber of the House of Representatives. It would be so very sad for our country if the State of the Union were not delivered on time, on schedule, and very importantly, on location!”
Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, “The United States Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security, who would have jurisdiction over whether or not the Capitol is safe for the president to visit, have addressed those concerns. I think they’re the most qualified people not only to address it, but to make that assessment, and they’ve certainly addressed that, and I think satisfied those concerns.”