Big Majorities Oppose Obamacare, Say CBS, Fox, NBC/WSJ Polls

By Michael W. Chapman | July 25, 2013 | 6:27pm EDT

President Barack Obama signs the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) into law on Mar. 23, 2010. (AP)

( – Poll results released this week by CBS News, Fox News, and NBC News/Wall Street Journal show that strong majorities of Americans disapprove of Obamacare, would repeal it if given the chance, and think the law itself is a “total bad idea.”

In the CBS News poll, 54% of Americans disapprove of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) while only 36% approve of it. CBS also found that 38% of Americans said Obamacare will personally “hurt me,” while only 13% said the health care law would “help me.”

In the Fox News poll, 53% of Americans said they would vote to repeal Obamacare if given the chance.  In addition, 47% said the law would cost them money while only 11% said it would save them money in the coming year.

For the NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey, people were asked, “From what you have heard about Brack Obama’s health care plan that was passed by Congress and signed into law by the President in 2010, do you think his plan is a good idea or a bad idea?”

47% responded that the president’s health care plan was a “total bad idea” while only 34% said it was a “total good idea.” At the same time, 45% said Republicans in Congress should do everything they can to prevent the law from going into effect but 51% said Republicans should stop trying to block the law.

For the NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 1,000 adults were interviewed by telephone July 17-21, and the poll had a margin of error of +/- 3.10%.

For the Fox News poll, conducted with Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research (R), July 21-23, 1,017 randomly chosen registered voters were interviewed by telephone; the margin of error was +/-  3 percentage points.

The CBS News poll was published on July 24.

CNSNews Reader,

The media are hard at work weaving a web of confusion, misinformation, and conspiracy surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism—not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews has emerged as the conservative media’s lynchpin for original reporting, investigative reporting, and breaking news. We are part of the only organization purely dedicated to this critical mission and we need your help to fuel this fight.

Donate today to help CNSNews continue to report on topics that the liberal media refuse to touch. $25 a month goes a long way in the fight for a free and fair media.

And now, thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, you can make up to a $300 gift to the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of your choice and use it as a tax deduction on your 2020 taxes, even if you take the standard deduction on your returns.

— The CNSNews Team



Sign up for our CNSNews Daily Newsletter to receive the latest news.