U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers in Laredo, Texas arrested a gunrunner carrying 10,000 rounds of ammunition used in AK-47 rifles along with a host of firearms at the border on Tuesday.
The suspect was attempting to cross the Gateway to the Americas International Bridge outbound in a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. After a CBP officer referred the vehicle for intensive inspection, canine and officer examination of the vehicle discovered:
- 10,000 7.62x39mm rounds of ammunition,
- 1 Diamondback 15 Multi Caliber rifle,
- 1 Hi Point .45 Caliber carbine rifle,
- 8 assorted firearm magazines,
- 1 SCCY 9mm handgun,
- 1 Smith and Wesson 39 handgun,
- 1 SHE 89 Caliber handgun,
- 1 Springfield 45 ACP Compact handgun,
- 1 Ruger .380 Auto handgun, and,
- 1 .40 Caliber bullet.
CBP officers detained the subject, seizing the vehicle, firearms, ammunition and assorted magazines.
The case was then turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement-Homeland Security Investigations (ICE-HSI) special agents for further investigation.
“This type of incident highlights the dangers our CBP officers could face on any given day,” said Port Director Albert Flores, Laredo Port of Entry. “This firearms and ammunition seizure is a direct reflection of our continuing commitment in keeping our community safe.”