Despite record employment, lower unemployment, record Hispanic employment, and an increase in manufacturing jobs in July, House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) found something to criticize: tax cuts and wealthy Americans.
“July’s jobs report shows that the wealthiest 1 percent and big corporations continue to hoard the benefits of the GOP Tax Scam for the rich, while American workers are denied the bigger paychecks they deserve,” Pelosi claimed in a statement Friday.
Earlier in the day, CNSNews.com reported the wide range of positive economic news for July released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS):
- A record 155,965,000 people were employed in July, the 11th record-breaker since President Trump took office 19 months ago,
- The economy added 157,000 jobs in July (compared with a revised 248,000 in June),
- The unemployment rate edged down to 3.9 percent,
- The number of unemployed persons declined by 284,000 to 6,280,000 in July.
- The unemployment rate for Hispanics set its second straight record low, 4.5%, down from its then-record low June level of 4.6%.
- The number of Hispanics employed hit a record high of 27,223,000, up from 27,077,000 in June,
- Manufacturing jobs increased by 37,000 in July and have now increased by 400,000 since Donald Trump became president
Nonetheless, Pelosi saw only bad news, taking the opportunity to vilify the last Republican tax cuts – and warn against the next round of tax cuts:
“Hard-working Americans continue to be stuck paying the price for the Republicans’ special interest agenda. Families are drowning under the weight of stagnant wages, higher health costs from the GOP sabotage and skyrocketing prescription drug prices from the same Big Pharma companies that were just handed massive tax breaks. Now, even after exploding the deficit with their completely unpaid-for $2 trillion tax breaks of the GOP Tax Scam for the rich, Republicans are now trying to bend or break the law to hand another $100 billion tax break to the wealthiest 1 percent, all at the expense of working and middle class families.
“The American people deserve so much better than the raw deal they are getting from the cynical Republican special interest agenda. Democrats are fighting to deliver A Better Deal For The People, with a plan to lower health costs and prescription drug prices, increase Americans’ pay through strong economic growth by rebuilding America and clean up corruption to make Washington work for the people.”