CDC: In Top 10 Abortion States, 60% of Babies Killed Were Black and Hispanic

By Michael W. Chapman | December 4, 2014 | 2:47pm EST

( – In the top ten states that report their abortion statistics to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),  the numbers show that 60.48% of the babies killed in those states were black and Hispanic, a total of 201,744 abortions out of 333,560.

(AP Photo)

However, the data also show that in those areas blacks comprised an average 17.18% of the population and Hispanics, 11.56%. In other words, 60% of the abortions there came from a combined 28.74% of the population: black and Hispanic women.

The CDC numbers come from the agency’s latest Abortion Surveillance report, published on Nov. 28, and covers the year 2011, the latest for which the abortion data are available.

In Table 12 of that report it shows “Reported abortions, by known race/ethnicity of women who obtained an abortion and reporting area of occurrence – selected reported areas.”  The abortion numbers are from 25 states, the District of Columbia, and specifically New York City.

The report does not include numbers from 25 other “reporting areas,” such as California, Florida, Massachusetts and other states because those areas either are not required to report to the CDC, or they “did not report by race/ethnicity, or did not meet reporting standards,” said the agency.

Human baby in the womb. (AP)

From the numbers available, they show that the top ten states in terms of total number of abortions – white, black, Hispanic, and other -- in 2011 were as follows:

1) New York, 103,339 abortions

2) Texas, 71,658

3) Georgia, 27,942

4) New Jersey, 25,857

5) Virginia, 24,004

6) Ohio, 23,608

7) Michigan, 21,513

8) Tennessee, 15,623

9) Minnesota, 10,562

10) Alabama, 9,454

Total:  333,560


As for the black and Hispanic abortions in those top ten states, the numbers show this:

1) NY: 42,629 blacks, 28,282 Hispanic – Total: 70,911

-- 68.7% of abortions in that state

2) TX: 17,890 black, 27,216 Hispanic – Total: 45,106

-- 63% of abortions in that state

3) GA: 14,550 black, 5,178 Hispanic – Total: 19,728

-- 70.6% of abortions in that state

4) NJ: 8,753 black, 5,619 Hispanic – Total: 14,372

-- 55.6% of abortions in that state

5) VA: 10,527 black, 2,606 Hispanic – Total: 13,133

-- 54.8% of abortions in that state

6) OH: 9,047 black, 963 Hispanic – Total: 10,010

-- 42.4% of abortions in that state

7) MI: 10,297 black, 800 Hispanic – Total: 11,097

-- 51.6% of abortions in that state

8) TN: 7,792 black, 609 Hispanic – Total: 8,401

-- 53.8% of abortions in that state

9) MN: 2,434 black, 674 Hispanic – Total: 3,108

-- 29.4% of abortions in that state

10) AL: 5,549 black, 329 Hispanic – Total: 5,878

-- 62.2% of abortions in that state

Total:  201,744


Those 201,744 black and Hispanic abortions, out of 333,560 in the top ten reporting states, equals 60.48% of the total.

ype="node" title="baby

Nationally, meaning the 27 areas that did report to the CDC, there were 405,994 abortions total reported.  Among those, 146,856 were black and 79,408 were Hispanic, which equals 56% of the total.

Nationally, blacks make up 13.2% of the population, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and Hispanics comprise 17.1% of the population. Combined, that’s 30.3% of the population. 

CNSNews Reader,

The media are hard at work weaving a web of confusion, misinformation, and conspiracy surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism—not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews has emerged as the conservative media’s lynchpin for original reporting, investigative reporting, and breaking news. We are part of the only organization purely dedicated to this critical mission and we need your help to fuel this fight.

Donate today to help CNSNews continue to report on topics that the liberal media refuse to touch. $25 a month goes a long way in the fight for a free and fair media.

And now, thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, you can make up to a $300 gift to the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of your choice and use it as a tax deduction on your 2020 taxes, even if you take the standard deduction on your returns.

— The CNSNews Team



Sign up for our CNSNews Daily Newsletter to receive the latest news.