(CNSNews.com) –President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he’s still waiting to see the border security deal that House appropriators came up with, and when he does, he’ll be “looking for land mines.”
“We haven’t gotten it yet. We’ll be getting it. We’ll be looking for land mines, because you could have that. It’s been known to happen before to people, but we have not gotten it yet. It’ll be sent to us at some point, and we’ll take a very serious look at it. We have a lot of things happening right now,” Trump said during an Oval Office meeting with Colombian President Iván Duque Márquez.
“We’re building a lot of wall right now with money that we already have, and when people see what we’re doing, I think they’ll be very surprised. We’re doing a lot of work, and we have planned to do a lot of work, but I have not seen it yet,” Trump said about the deal.
The president expressed appreciation for Republicans lawmakers who are “going against a radical left.” He said he doesn’t want to see a shutdown, because it “would be a terrible thing.”
“I think a point was made with the last shutdown. People realized how bad the border is, how unsafe the border is, and I think a lot of good points were made, but I don’t want to see another one. There’s no reason for it, and we’re going to look at the legislation when it comes, and I’ll make a determination then,” Trump said.
When asked whether he was willing to take less money for the wall than what was on the table five months ago, Trump said, “Actually it will be regardless of what I do – you know we already have a lot of money where we’re building existing wall with existing funds, but I have a lot of options. Just like we do with Venezuela, we have on the border, and we have a lot of options and a lot of things are happening, very positive things,” he said.
“The numbers are almost $23 billion, which you don’t report too often. It’s about an eight percent increase over last year, so if you look at the total funding, it’s almost up to $23 billion. It’s about eight percent higher,” the president said, echoing a tweet he wrote on Tuesday.
“Was just presented the concept and parameters of the Border Security Deal by hard working Senator Richard Shelby. Looking over all aspects knowing that this will be hooked up with lots of money from other sources....” he tweeted.
....Will be getting almost $23 BILLION for Border Security. Regardless of Wall money, it is being built as we speak!” Trump tweeted yesterday.
“The border area is happening. It’s going to happen at a really rapid pace. We’re giving out contracts right now, and we’re going to have a great wall. It’s going to be a great powerful wall. People will not be able to get through that wall very easily, and I think you see that,” Trump said at Wednesday’s Oval Office meeting with Duque said.
He accused Democrats of being “stingy” with border security funding.
“It’ll also have technology. It’ll have drones. It’ll have everything else we have. If you look at the other elements – ICE funding will be complete. We have other things happening which people aren’t talking about, but we’ve got a lot of funds for a lot of other things, but with the wall, they want to be stingy. We have options that most people don’t really understand,” the president added.