Trump: NYT Report That He’s Sending Troops to Middle East ‘Fake News’

By Melanie Arter | May 14, 2019 | 2:30 PM EDT

(Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

(CNSNews.com) – President Donald Trump is disputing a New York Times report that said the president is planning to send 120,000 U.S. troops to the Middle East in response to Iran.

When asked about it, Trump said, “I think it's fake news, okay? Now, would I do that? Absolutely, but we have not planned for that.

“Hopefully we're not going to have to plan for that, and if we did that, we'd send a hell of a lot more troops than that, but I think it's just -- where was that story? In the New York Times? Well, the New York Times is fake news,” he said.

The New York Times report said acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented a plan at last week’s meeting of Trump’s top national security aides to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the event that Iran attacks U.S. forces and accelerates work on nuclear weapons.

The president also said reports that DHS officials considered rounding up thousands of illegal immigrant families who had final deportation orders and removing them from the U.S. is “probably fake news.”

“I don't know anything about that. I read that. It's probably fake news, but I read that this morning. I don't know anything about it,” the president said.

According to the Associated Press, the plan was to arrest illegal immigrant parents and children in 10 cities with large populations, like New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

Sponsored Links