(CNSNews.com) - Judge Timothy J. Kelly of the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia decided to postpone until Friday his decision in the CNN lawsuit against President Donald Trump for revoking the hard pass of CNN’s White House Correspondent Jim Acosta.
As CNSNews.com previously reported, Kelly was expected to issue his ruling in the case on Thursday.
Meanwhile, the White House Correspondents Association (WHCA) on Thursday filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia in support of CNN’s lawsuit.
“Today the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) filed its Amicus Curiae Brief in support of CNN’s Motion for a Temporary Restraining Order in the matter of CNN vs. Donald J. Trump,” WHCA President Olivier Knox said in a statement.
“At yesterday’s hearing on CNN’s motion, the Department of Justice argued that the President has unbridled authority to pick and choose for any reason those journalists who might cover him. The WHCA brief highlights the danger posed to all journalists, and to the American public, if the President’s claim is permitted to stand,” Knox added.
The brief states: “This brief is intended to highlight for the Court the dangerous precedent that would be established if this Court accepts Defendants’ arguments and denies Plaintiffs the relief
that they seek.The WHCA is uniquely positioned to provide this Court with information and insight based on its experience and mission representing journalists who cover the White House.”
As CNSNews.com previously reported, the White House entered a motion in the lawsuit Wednesday calling for the judge to rule against CNN’s request that Acosta’s hard pass be immediately reinstated, saying Acosta did not have a “First Amendment right to enter the White House.”
“No journalist has a First Amendment right to enter the White House and the President need not survive First Amendment scrutiny whenever he exercises his discretion to deny an individual journalist one of the many hundreds of passes granting on-demand access to the White House complex,” the motion stated.
As CNSNews.com previously reported, Acosta’s White House press credentials were suspended last week after he refused to give the microphone back to a White House intern during a press conference with Trump when Trump refused to answer any more of Acosta’s questions.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at the time that the White House will “never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young women just trying to do her job as a White House intern.” She called his behavior “absolutely unacceptable” and disrespectful to other reporters he refused to allow to ask their questions.