As more information surfaces corroborating some of Tara Reade's sexual assault allegation against former Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), the editorial board of The Washington Post has called on Biden to personally address the issue and release his senatorial papers, which potentially could buttress Reade's story or perhaps undermine it.
Biden, who is running for the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, has not been directly asked by the liberal media about Reade's allegations. Reade, 56, was a staff assistant to Biden from December 1992 through August 1993.
As Reade claims, she was instructed to deliver a gym bag to then-Sen. Biden in 1993 in the Russell Senate Office Building. When she met with Biden in a hallway, he allegedly pushed her against the wall and ran one hand in her blouse and another hand under her skirt where he digitally penetrated her.
When she rebuffed him, Biden allegedly said to her, "You're nothing to me. You're nothing."
While Biden has not been asked about the incident, his communications director, Kate Bedingfield, has told the press, "Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims. We encourage them to do so, because these accusations are false."
On April 29, The Washington Post editorial board called on Biden to "address the Tara Reade allegations and release relevant records."
"Tara Reade deserves to be heard, and voters deserve to hear her," said The Post. "They deserve to hear from Joe Biden, too. The former vice president and probable Democratic presidential nominee has yet to speak publicly about the allegation Ms. Reade has lodged against him."
Biden's senatorial papers -- he served in the Senate for 36 years -- are locked away at the University of Delaware. They are supposed to be released two years after he "retires from public life."
Those papers "could contain confirmation of any complaint Ms. Reade made, either through official congressional channels or to the three other employees she claims she informed not specifically of the alleged assault but more generally of harassment," said The Post. "They could also contain nothing of the sort."
"... The narrower question is whether the public ought to have as much information as possible about an assault accusation against a presidential contender, and the answer is yes," said The Post.
"Another place to look is at the source: the candidate himself," said the editorial board. "Mr. Biden may have little to say besides what his campaign has already said -- that he did not do this, and that this is not something he ever would do. Yet the way to signal he takes Ms. Reade’s case seriously, and the cases of women like her seriously, is to go before the media and the public ready to listen and to reply."
The Wall Street Journal reported on April 28, “In the last month, he [Biden] has participated in about 20 television interviews as well as podcasts and virtual fundraisers. He hasn’t been asked about Ms. Reade’s claims at any of those events. Mr. Biden’s campaign declined to make him available for an interview for this article.”
The Media Research Center and NewsBusters reported this week that between March 25 and April 27, “ABC, NBC, CNN and MSNBC all invited Biden on their airwaves for interviews, but they refused to confront him even once about these allegations. Out of 77 questions, not a single one asked the former Senator and Vice President about Reade's charges.” (Emphasis added.)
Disclosure: The Media Research Center is the parent organization of CNSNews.com.