The American Family Association called Target’s decision to add single-stall bathrooms to its stores “a $20 million public relations diversionary tactic to make shoppers believe the company had changed its bathroom policy.”
“Don’t fall for it,” AFA President Tim Wildmon said in a statement on Tuesday. “Target is using deceptive language to make Americans think it has their best interests at heart. But Target has not changed this dangerous policy. Adding more bathrooms doesn’t fix the issue. Not allowing men in women’s facilities is the only solution.”
Target announced in August that it would spend $20 million adding single-stall bathrooms to its stores. It already has single-stall bathrooms at 1,400 of its 1,800 stores, Target spokesperson Katie Boylan said, according to the USA Today.
That will not, however, change the store’s transgender bathroom policy, which allows people to “use the bathroom and fitting room that corresponds with their gender identity,” the USA Today reported.
“Target has publicized its intent to install single-occupancy, unisex bathrooms – and that is fine. In fact, our initial announcement of the boycott suggested such additions as a way to help the retailer’s transgender customers. Moreover, we do not feel that the transgender community poses a threat to other shoppers,” Wilmon said in a letter last week to Target CEO Brian Cornell.
“However, our major concern was that Target’s policy would grant voyeurs and sexual predators easier access to their victims by allowing men in women’s restrooms and changing areas, which puts women and girls in danger,” Wilmon said in the Aug. 22 letter.
“Unisex bathrooms are fine, but our request has always been that Target maintain the gender-specific bathrooms as well – if the company is interested in guaranteeing the safety and privacy of women and girls who patronize the retailer’s stores,” he added.
“AFA’s boycott will remain in place until Target agrees that protecting the safety and privacy of women and children is of paramount concern. To demonstrate that commitment, we ask that you reverse your current bathroom and fitting room policy,” Wildmon concluded.
“We still believe Target doesn’t value the safety of families because they’ve refused to reverse this dangerous policy,” Wildmon said in a statement. “Because Target refuses to address our concerns, the boycott will remain. AFA will continue to direct our supporters away from Target and, as a result, they will shop at other retailers.
“After seeing Target’s latest earnings report, the retailer can’t afford to have millions of families shopping with competitors. The privacy and protection of women and children is important, and that is why we will continue to stand against Target for its reckless policy,” Wildmon said.