National Anthem protester Colin Kaepernick has a new supporter - the Revolutionary Communist Party.
Kaepernick is a backup quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, and has gained visibility and supporters for kneeling during the playing of the National Anthem. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick said when he started his protest August 26. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
San Francisco news station KPIX is reporting that before Monday night’s game against the Los Angeles Rams, members of the Revolutionary Communist Party were handing out flyers in support of Kaepernick. The flyer, which is also posted on the RCP’s website, offers “Top 10 Reasons to Sit Down for the Nasty-full Anthem - #sitdownfortherag”:
Top 10 Reasons to Sit Down for the Nasty-full Anthem—#sitdownfortherag
1. Because the United States was founded on slavery, Black people still have no rights this white supremacist system is bound to respect, and there is an epidemic of unpunished murder by police.
2. Because the U.S.A. was built on and continues to carry out genocide of the native peoples.
3. Because America was created by stealing half of Mexico’s land in a war of conquest, rape and plunder in 1846-48.
4. Because in America a woman is raped every 2 minutes and a woman is battered every 9 seconds—violence fueled by a culture of porn and patriarchy.
5. Because the U.S. massacred over 200,000 innocent civilians at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, with nuclear bombs and is the only country that’s ever used them.
6. Because the U.S. murdered 3 million people during the Vietnam War and has killed over 1.3 million in the Middle East since 9/11.
7. Because America imprisons 2 million people, mostly Black and Latino—more than any country on earth.
8. Because the U.S. terrorizes and demonizes immigrants, deporting 1.7 million in the last 5 years alone.
9. Because America’s wealth comes from exploiting and enslaving millions of people here and around the world, including children, from Mexico to China to Congo to Bangladesh.
10. Because America has done more to destroy the planet’s environment than any other country on earth—the U.S. military is the single greatest institutional polluter in the world.
The RCP’s website also offers other downloadable flyers, one containing a quote from communist writer Bob Avian, author of the new book "The New Communism": “If you can conceive of a world without America - without everything America stands for and everything it does in the world - then you’ve already taken great strides and begun to at least get a glimpse of a whole new world."