Blog

West Hollywood City Council Votes to Remove Trump’s Star

By Gavi Greenspan | August 9, 2018 | 9:47am EDT
(Screenshot)

The West Hollywood City Council voted unanimously Monday to recommend that the city of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce remove President Donald Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star.

At the City Council meeting, West Hollywood Mayor Pro Tempore John D’Amico said while he doesn’t support damaging public property, “time is really up on Donald Trump’s getting a star on Hollywood Boulevard.”

“Getting a star is a privilege. It’s not a right,” D’Amico said. “You have no right to a star on Hollywood just because you’re famous, and I think the message that that national monument as the Hollywood Chamber ... of Commerce calls it, needs to be looked at carefully and thoughtfully.

“And so I put this on the agenda and asked my colleague to join me, and it appears like it will pass, to ask the City of Los Angeles to step back and think carefully about who is represented on that boulevard and who might be represented in the future and what processes are in place for representation there” he said.

The Hill reported that the resolution calling for Trump’s star to be removed stated in part: "Having a 'star' on the Walk of Fame is a privilege that is highly sought after by those in the entertainment industry, allowing Mr. Trump to continue to have a star in light of his behavior toward women, particularly in the #timesup and #metoo movements, should not be acceptable in the Hollywood and entertainment industry communities.”

West Hollywood Mayor John Duran tweeted his own strongly worded comments on the issue Monday evening: “West Hollywood City council unanimously passes resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. #horcruxdestroyed #bellicose #belligerent #unAmericanvalues #MakeAmericaintoAmericaAgain

USA Today reported that the city council’s decision to recommend removal of Trump’s star came less than two weeks after the star had been destroyed for the second time. In the past there had been efforts to remove the stars of Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey.

However, the Daily Wire reported that the Hollywood Walk of Fame still has stars for Cosby and Spacey, as well as other ethically controversial individuals such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Brett Ratner, Michael Jackson and Charlie Sheen.

 

CNSNews Reader,

The liberal media are terrified of the truth, especially when it leads to uncomfortable questions about their own leftist worldview.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism — not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews relies on the support of our loyal readers to keep providing the news and commentary that matter to the American people, not just stories that prop up the liberal agenda.

Make a donation today. Just $15 a month would make a tremendous impact and enable us to keeping shining the light where the liberal media are afraid to tread.

— The CNSNews Team

DONATE

Connect

Sign up for our CNSNews.com E-Brief to receive the latest news.