While a slight majority (51%) of all likely voters think President Donald Trump is more "mentally and physically" equipped than former Vice President Joe Biden (49%) to handle the coronavirus pandemic, key groups of swing voters solidly prefer Trump, newly-released national Zogby Poll results shows.
In a national survey of 889 likely U.S. voters conducted March 24-26, 2020 with a margin of error of +/- 3.3 percentage points, Zogby asked:
“Who is better equipped mentally and physically to handle the coronavirus pandemic?”
Several groups of “important swing voters… all thought Trump was in better shape and had more acumen to head-off the coronavirus pandemic,” Zogby reports. Notably, both union members and urban men prefer Trump over Biden by more than ten percentage points.
Important swing voters:
- Union members (Trump 58%/Biden 42%),
- Urban men (Trump 55%/Biden 45%),
- Weekly Walmart shoppers (Trump 57%/Biden 43%),
- Weekly Amazon shoppers (Trump 60%/Biden 40%),
- NASCAR fans (Trump 70%/Biden 30%),
- Suburban men (Trump 56%/Biden 44%), and
- Rural voters (Trump 64%/Biden 36%)
“Some of the most vulnerable voters, such as those who lost a job recently, also favored Trump (Trump 65%/Biden 35%),” Zogby reports.
A majority of voters in three key generational groups preferred Trump over Biden to handle the pandemic:
- Millennials (Trump 52%/Biden 48%),
- Generation Xers (Trump 53%/Biden 47%) and
- Baby Boomers (Trump 53%/Biden 47%)
In terms of the presidential candidates’ current response to the coronavirus pandemic, voters give Trump the edge over both Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Zogby reports.