A higher percentage of liberals than conservatives follow President Donald Trump on Twitter, a nationwide survey of the president’s social media presence reveals.
A national post-election survey conducted by McLaughlin & Associates found that 25% of the nation’s voters keep tabs on Trump via at least one of the following social media platforms:
- Twitter: 15%
- Facebook: 14%
- Instagram: 9%
- Total: 25% (follow/like on one or more of the above)
Ironically, a higher percentage of self-described liberals (21%) than conservatives (17%) follow Trump on Twitter. Only 9% of moderates say they follow the president on Twitter.
The same percentage of both liberals (30%) and conservatives (30%) follow Trump on at least one of the three platforms – nearly doubling the 16% of moderates who report following Trump on social media.
Trump’s massive reach on social media ranges from a low of 2.6 million likes/4.6 million followers on his presidential Facebook page to a high of 55.7 million followers on his personal Twitter account:
- Donald Trump (@realDonaldTrump): 55.8 million followers on Twitter
- President Trump (@POTUS): 24.5 million followers on Twitter
- Donald Trump: (realdonaldtrump): 10.7 million followers on Instagram
- Donald Trump (“Donald J. Trump”):: 23.6 million “likes,” 25.0 million followers on Facebook
- President Trump (“President Donald J. Trump”) 2.6 million “Likes,” 4.6 million followers on Facebook
The national survey of 1,000 general election voters was conducted on November 6, 2018.