(CNSNews.com) – President Donald Trump said Thursday that he’s prepared to go higher than the $1.8 trillion in coronavirus relief that he offered to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and she turned down.
He said he told Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to offer more but “so far he hasn’t come home with the bacon.”
In an interview with Fox Business’ “Varney” show, the president was asked how much higher he would go than the $1.8 trillion, and he said, “I would. We like stimulus. We want stimulus. We think we should have stimulus, because it was China's fault. It was not the American workers fault or the American people.”
When asked why not just go with Pelosi’s $2.2 trillion Heroes Act, Trump said, “Because she is asking for all sorts of goodies. She wants to bail out badly-run Democrat states and cities. She wants money for things that you would never-- your pride couldn't let it happen. Should be COVID-related.”
The president said that extra money above $1.8 trillion should go to the people directly.
“It would go to the worker. It would go to the people, directly to the people, so they can live nicely and their lives won't be shattered because of China,” he said.
When asked if he’s told the treasury secretary to offer more than $1.8 trillion, Trump said, “I’ve told him. So far he hasn't come home with the bacon.”