Rand Paul on COVID-19 Test: ‘I Am At a Higher Risk…Due to Having Part of My Lung Removed Seven Months Ago’

By CNSNews.com Staff | March 23, 2020 | 2:12pm EDT
Sen. Rand Paul (R.-Ky.) arrives at the Capitol for a vote on Nov. 13, 2017. Paul returned to Capitol Hill after he was attacked by his neighbor Rene Boucher and broke six of his ribs while mowing the lawn at his Kentucky home on Nov. 3, 2017. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Sen. Rand Paul (R.-Ky.) arrives at the Capitol for a vote on Nov. 13, 2017. Paul returned to Capitol Hill after he was attacked by his neighbor Rene Boucher and broke six of his ribs while mowing the lawn at his Kentucky home on Nov. 3, 2017. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Rand Paul (R.-Ky.), who—although asymptomatic--has tested positive for the coronavirus, put out a statement this afternoon explaining that he had taken the test because he is at higher risk of complications from the disease because his lung was damaged a few years ago when he was attacked by a neighbor.

Paul later had to have part of that lung surgically removed.

“It was my extra precaution, out of concern for my damaged lung, that led me to get tested,” Paul said in the statement.

“Given that my wife and I had traveled extensively during the weeks prior to COVID-19 social distancing practices, and that I am at a higher risk for serious complications from the virus due to having part of my lung removed seven months ago, I took a COVID-19 test when I arrived in D.C. last Monday,” he said.

“I felt that it was highly unlikely that I was positive since I have had no symptoms of the illness, nor have I had contact with anyone who has either tested positive for the virus or been sick,” he said.

“I didn’t fit the criteria for testing or quarantine.  I had no symptoms and no specific encounter with a COVID-19 positive person,” Paul said. “I had, however, traveled extensively in the U.S. and was required to continue doing so to vote in the Senate.  That, together with the fact that I have a compromised lung, led me to seek testing.  Despite my positive test result, I remain asymptomatic for COVID-19.”

In November 2017, while Paul was mowing the lawn at his home in Bowling Green, Ky., he was tackled by a neighbor. He suffered multiple broken ribs in the attack and one of his lungs was damaged.

In 2019, Paul had surgery in which part of that lung was removed.

The Lexington Herald Leader reported on Aug. 5, 2019:

“Paul tweeted Monday morning he had to have part of his lung surgically removed last weekend at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He said the lung was damaged in a November 2017 attack by his Bowling Green neighbor, Rene Boucher, who was ordered by a jury to pay more than $500,000 in damages to Paul early this year.”

Here is the full text of the statement Paul released today about his coronavirus test:

“Given that my wife and I had traveled extensively during the weeks prior to COVID-19 social distancing practices, and that I am at a higher risk for serious complications from the virus due to having part of my lung removed seven months ago, I took a COVID-19 test when I arrived in D.C. last Monday.  I felt that it was highly unlikely that I was positive since I have had no symptoms of the illness, nor have I had contact with anyone who has either tested positive for the virus or been sick.

“Since nearly every member of the U.S. Senate travels by plane across the country multiple times per week and attends lots of large gatherings, I believed my risk factor for exposure to the virus to be similar to that of my colleagues, especially since multiple congressional staffers on the Hill had already tested positive weeks ago.   

“As for my attendance at the Speed Art Museum fundraiser on March 7, unlike the other Kentucky government officials there, I had zero contact or proximity with either of the two individuals who later announced they were positive for COVID-19. The event was a large affair of hundreds of people spread throughout the museum. 

“There was an announcement by the Museum and Metro Louisville Communicable Disease department that “those who public health officials consider at higher risk from possible exposure are being notified.”  Louisville’s health director put out a statement in The Courier Journal that “most of the people at the Speed Ball were at ‘very minimal risk.’”  I was not considered to be at risk since I never interacted with the two individuals even from a distance and was not recommended for testing by health officials.

“I believe we need more testing immediately, even among those without symptoms.  The nature of COVID-19 put me – and us all – in a Catch-22 situation.  I didn’t fit the criteria for testing or quarantine.  I had no symptoms and no specific encounter with a COVID-19 positive person.  I had, however, traveled extensively in the U.S. and was required to continue doing so to vote in the Senate.  That, together with the fact that I have a compromised lung, led me to seek testing.  Despite my positive test result, I remain asymptomatic for COVID-19.

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol.  The current guidelines would not have called for me to get tested nor quarantined.  It was my extra precaution, out of concern for my damaged lung, that led me to get tested.

“Perhaps it is too much to ask that we simply have compassion for our fellow Americans who are sick or fearful of becoming so.  Thousands of people want testing.  Many, like David Newman of The Walking Dead, are sick with flu symptoms and are being denied testing.  This makes no sense.   

“The broader the testing and the less finger-pointing we have, the better.  America is strong. We are a resilient people, but we’re stronger when we stand together.”





 

CNSNews Reader,

The media are hard at work weaving a web of confusion, misinformation, and conspiracy surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism—not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews has emerged as the conservative media’s lynchpin for original reporting, investigative reporting, and breaking news. We are part of the only organization purely dedicated to this critical mission and we need your help to fuel this fight.

Donate today to help CNSNews continue to report on topics that the liberal media refuse to touch. $25 a month goes a long way in the fight for a free and fair media.

And now, thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, you can make up to a $300 gift to the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of your choice and use it as a tax deduction on your 2020 taxes, even if you take the standard deduction on your returns.

— The CNSNews Team

DONATE

Connect

Sign up for our CNSNews Daily Newsletter to receive the latest news.