(CNSNews.com) – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield said Thursday that President Donald Trump chose to ban travel to the United States from Europe because over 70 percent of new coronavirus cases are linked to Europe and more than 30 states have cases linked to Europe.
During a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing on the coronavirus response, Rep. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) asked what the likelihood was that any of the committee members would get COVID-19 assuming that someone in the room had symptoms.
“Again still the real risk in general right now--- this is why the president took the action he did last night – within the world now over 70 percent of the new cases are linked to Europe, and in the United States, I think it was now 35-- 30 states in our country, 30 states or more were linked actually to cases of Europe,” Redfield said.
“Europe is the new China, and that’s why the president made those statements. Cleary, we can only continue to emphasize the basics that we’ve all said about washing your hands, obviously staying away from people who are sick, learning how to cough correctly, don’t touch your face, although we all know it’s very complicated to try to not touch your face during the day,” he said.
“But I think it’s really important that we also are moving quickly with broader mitigation strategies based on the virus, and Tony may want to add to this, so some of that is really encouraging social distancing in the workplace, really encouraging social distancing in restaurants, really encouraging social distancing at sporting events,” Redfield added.
As CNSNews.com previously reported, Trump announced Wednesday that foreign nationals from Europe would be banned from traveling to the United States in response to the outbreak that is spreading throughout Europe – numbers that have surpassed China.
“The European Union failed to take the same precautions and restrict travel from China and other hot spots,” he continued. “As a result a large number of new clusters in the United States were seeded by travelers from Europe.”
“After consulting with our top government health professionals I have decided to take several strong but necessary actions to protect the health and wellbeing of all Americans,” he said. “To keep new cases from entering our shores, we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days.”