W.Va. city wasn't told about system's installation

By the Associated Press | February 3, 2012 | 2:05 AM EST

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — South Charleston's mayor says a ventilation system at a hotel that leaked deadly carbon monoxide poisoning wasn't inspected because the city didn't know it had been installed.

Mayor Frank Mullens tells the Charleston Daily Mail (http://bit.ly/AeefuV ) the city was never informed of the work. He says there's no record of a licensed contractor getting a permit to install the system.

The leak Tuesday killed a Rhode Island construction worker and sickened others at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

Officials say a pipe attached to a heating unit on the hotel's indoor pool came apart, allowing deadly carbon monoxide fumes to escape.


Information from: Charleston Daily Mail, http://www.dailymail.com