WH: Benghazi Info a ‘Moving Picture’

October 10, 2012 - 3:20 PM

Jay carney

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) – A day after the State Department broke ranks with what had been the White House line that the Benghazi consulate in Libya was attacked as a response to a YouTube video, White House Jay Carney repeatedly insisted that the administration was basing their assertions on “preliminary information.”

“There is no question that in the region, including in Cairo, there were demonstrations reacting to the release of that video. I will leave it to those who are testifying on Capitol Hill,” Carney said.

“What we said at the time was that our intelligence community assessed that the attack began spontaneously following the protest earlier that day at our embassy in Cairo,” Carney continued.

“Again, this is a moving picture, and people who on the night of the attack or the day after who claimed they know all the facts without making clear what we know is based on preliminary information aren’t being straight. And in some case are trying to politicize a situation that should not be politicized,” he added.

State Department officials on Tuesday contradicted earlier accounts from President Barack Obama, Carney and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice that the terrorist attack was a spontaneous act in protest of an anti-Muslim video. The attack on the consulate in Benghazi led to the murder of U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee held a hearing into the matter Wednesday after reports that more security for the locations in Libya was requested but the State Department turned it down.

Carney said that matter is under review by the State Department.

“There is no question the result of what happened in Benghazi is not acceptable. Four Americans killed is not an acceptable situation,” Carney said.

“That is why the president moved so quickly to make sure that an investigation was launched to bring the perpetrators to justice – the killers to justice – and a review was launched at the State Department to look at our security posture in the Benghazi facility and elsewhere. Those matters are under investigation,” he said.

Carney continued, “As we’re hearing on Capitol Hill today, we have learned a great deal as this investigation has progressed. And we have been very clear about what we have known at different stages of this process over the last several weeks and what we have yet to learn and the fact that at each stage the investigation continues and more facts may be developed that change our understanding of what happened.”