US not satisfied with China statement on Libya

September 7, 2011 - 12:50 PM

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United States says it is not satisfied with China's explanation of a meeting in July between Chinese weapons makers and representatives of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi seeking to buy arms in violation of U.N. sanctions.

U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice told reporters Wednesday that the Obama administration "will look to China to continue to explain and clarify its understanding of what did and didn't transpire."

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu on Tuesday repeated China's stance that no contracts were signed and no arms were delivered.

The Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail reported last week that Gadhafi's officials negotiated to buy weapons and ammunition from three Chinese arms makers. It based the report on discarded Libyan government documents.