(CNSNews.com) - An organization that wants America to abandon the United Nations has produced a new television ad slamming the "bogus reforms" proposed by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
Move America Forward said its new ad will start running on national cable news networks the first week in April.
The group calls the proposed reforms another attempt to "whitewash" Kofi Annan's "mismanagement," and it said the recommendations "reek of anti-Americanism."
As Cybercast News Service previously reported, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday asked the General Assembly to consider the most sweeping changes to the world body since its founding 60 years ago.
Among other things, Annan has recommended expanding the Security Council from its current 15 members to 24, and he has suggested two ways of doing that.
It doesn't matter which proposal is adopted, Move America Forward said.
"Finding new ways to get Americans to pay more money and have less influence is certainly not the kind of reform anyone in this country should support," said Howard Kaloogian, co-chair of Move America Forward.
"Fortunately, we will have a new ambassador to the U.N, John Bolton, who can articulate a loud and clear 'NO' from the United States," he added. (Move America Forward has launched a campaign in support of Bolton's nomination, which liberals are fighting.)
Move America Forward Co-Chair Melanie Morgan said Annan's proposals are not about reform: "This is about trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the American people so the politicians can give more of our taxpayer money away to a lost cause," she said.
Move America Forward believes that Annan is getting increasingly desperate, as more scandals come to light. Kaloogian called Annan's "reform" proposals a "frantic campaign of damage control" to repair the U.N.'s "stained image."
"After reviewing the reform proposals unveiled by Mr. Annan, it is clear that they are a bogus attempt to whitewash the corruption, failure and anti-Americanism that permeates the United Nations as a whole," Kaloogian said.
Annan released his "reform" proposals one week before U.N. investigator Paul Volcker is scheduled to release more details about the U.N.'s scandal-ridden oil-for-food program.
"Kofi Annan's charade that the United Nations is turning over a new leaf is completely undermined by his inability to come clean about the U.N.'s corruption, deception and inexcusable conduct in the oil-for-food scandal," Kaloogian said.
Move America Forward points to recent press reports saying that Annan's son Kojo received $300,000 from a Swiss company that received an oil-for-food contract. According to the Financial Times of London, the payments to Kojo "were set up in such a way as to hide where the money was coming from and going."
Moreover, Kofi Annan himself reportedly met with top executives from the same Swiss company that employed his son, both before and after that company received an oil-for-food contract.
Mark Malloch Brown, Annan's chief of staff, is quoted as saying that Annan's meetings had nothing to do with the Swiss company's bid for the contract.
"The secretary-general believes that it (the Volcker report) will clearly vindicate him, in that it will describe these meetings in great detail and no doubt, in his mind, confirm the fact that they were innocent encounters," Malloch Brown was quoted as saying.
But Move America Forward is among the critics that believe much of the blame for the oil-for-food scandal stems from Annan's lax administration of the entrenched U.N. bureaucracy.
Volcker's report on the Annans' alleged involvement in the oil-for-food scandal is due out next Tuesday.
See Earlier Stories:
Annan Proposes Radical Reforms for the UN (21 Mar. 2005)
Hopes and Fears Evident as Nations Mull Rival Security Council Proposals (23 Mar. 2005)
Europeans Welcome Proposals to Reform UN Security Council (23 Mar. 2005)
Volcker Interim Report Panned by UN Critic (4 Feb. 2005)
Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.