Poisoned lotto winner's body to be exhumed Friday
CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities plan to exhume the body of a Chicago businessman Friday in hopes of learning exactly how he ingested a lethal dose of cyanide.
Urooj (oo-ROOJ') Khan died in July as he was about to collect $425,000 in lottery winnings. His death was initially ruled a result of natural causes, but a relative pressed for a deeper look. Full toxicology results revealed in November that Khan was poisoned. His death was reclassified a homicide.
No suspects have been identified.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office hopes an autopsy, expected to be finished by Friday afternoon, will produce more evidence in the event the case goes to trial.
Spokeswoman Mary Paleologos (PEHL'-ee-oh-loh-gohs) says tests on Khan's organs also may determine whether the poison was swallowed, inhaled or injected.