Pence: Spending Deal ‘Not Good Enough’
(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Mike Pence (R.-Ind.) says he voted against the spending deal that House Speaker John Boehner (R.-Ohio) made with President Barack Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D.-Nev.) because it was “not good enough” given the “unprecedented” fiscal crisis confronting the nation.
"This nation is facing a fiscal crisis of unprecedented proportions,” Pence said in a statement explaining his “no” vote on the deal. “ I opposed the Continuing Resolution today because, in the face of our fiscal crisis, this budget deal is not good enough.
"The time has come for Congress and this administration to get serious about confronting the crisis with bold fiscal discipline and reform,” said Pence. “I look forward to working with my colleagues in both parties as we steer our national government back to fiscal solvency and policies that will promote economic growth."
Boehner, Obama and Reid cut a deal late last Friday night on legislation to fund the federal government for the remainder of fiscal 2011, which ends on Sept. 30. According to Boehner and Reid, the deal will cut $78.5 billion from President Obama’s original fiscal 2011 budget proposal, thus resulting in federal spending for this year of $3.755 trillion. That is $772.95 billion above the federal spending level of fiscal 2008 (which was $2.982544 trillion).
The House voted 260 to 167 on Thursday to approve the deal and the Senate approved it 81 to 19. Fifty-nine House Republicans, including Pence, voted against the deal.
So far this fiscal year, according to the Bureau of the Public Debt, the federal debt has increased $653.3 billion—rising from $13.6108 trillion to $14.2641 trillion.