NY Crash Gives Washington Travelers Second Thoughts

By Jason Pierce | July 7, 2008 | 8:20 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - This time it was a Monday. The stunning news of another air disaster in New York City was rippling through Washington's Reagan National Airport, forcing the cancellation of shuttle flights to John F. Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark airports, providing a vivid reminder of the Tuesday, Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Rosalyn Park, who had planned to fly to LaGuardia Monday morning on Delta's shuttle service, said she would wait until the New York airport re-opened. Yes, this was inconvenient, but more scary than inconvenient.

"It's pretty frustrating to be stuck, but it makes me a little scared, also," she said. "When I got up this morning and turned on the television, I couldn't believe it. I'm already having second thoughts about going home to California for the holidays."

Raul Garcia, who was taking an American Airlines flight to Chicago, said Monday's crash does scare him, but not in the same way the Sept. 11 attacks terrified the nation.

"Of course I'm scared," Garcia said, "but scared about the dangers of flying before terrorism came into the picture."

Brady Foy of Washington was not traveling Monday, but did plans to do so later in the week.

"I'm definitely having second thoughts about flying again," said Foy, as he watched the developments of the New York crash on a restaurant television.

Foy said he has plans to fly to Buffalo, N.Y., for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, but may have a change of plans now.

"I would say there is a 60-40 chance I will fly in a couple of weeks, but I still may chicken out," Foy said. "I may very well call my family to tell them that I may be late for dinner because I decided to drive the 12 hours instead of taking the two-hour flight."

Foy said he felt sympathy for the people in New York who are dealing with yet another tragedy.

"My first reaction was 'Oh my God, not again,'" Foy said. "It's very sad. I can just imagine what those people must feel like now."

Reagan National Airport was involved in the nationwide shutdown of air traffic following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. None of the hijacked planes had departed from Reagan National, but, because of its proximity to the U.S. Capitol and the White House, the airport remained closed longer than any other major airport in the country - finally reopening Oct. 4.