As North Korea Crisis Deepens, Obama Raises Campaign Cash in San Francisco
(CNSNews.com) - As North Korea announced it has approved a nuclear strike on the United States, President Barack Obama was back on the campaign trail, raising money for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in San Francisco, California.
The first two DCCC fundraising events for the 2014 election cycle had Obama appearing with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and DCCC Chairman Steve Israel (D-N.Y.).
According to the official White House schedule, Obama delivered remarks at a private residence in San Francisco at 9:15 p.m. ET, followed by a second event at 10:55 p.m.
The first event was a cocktail reception hosted by Tom Steyer, a billionaire hedge fund manager and environmentalist. According to the Associated Press, about 100 donors paid a minimum of $5,000 to attend.
The guest list was smaller for a dinner later Tuesday at the home of billionaires Ann and Gordon Getty, but the price was higher -- $32,400, the maximum individuals may give to a national party committee each year.
Obama’s remarks to donors were closed to the press, but his message is clear: He’s telling his supporters that to enact his gun control/immigration/fiscal agenda, he’s going to need help and he wants Democrats to retake the House in the 2014 midterm election.
Democrats need to pick up 17 seats next year to regain control of the House
Between now and 2014, the president is expected to headline at least 20 fundraisers, the AP reported: six for House Democrats, six for Senate Democrats and two joint House-Senate events, plus another half-dozen or so for the Democratic National Committee, which is still retiring the debt it racked up last year helping Obama win a second term.
The official White House schedule for Thursday, April 4 shows the president continuing his fundraising tour, attending events for the Democratic Party in Atherton, California. He is scheduled to Washington Thursday evening.
The Defense Department on Wednesday announced it will deploy a ballistic missile defense system to Guam in the coming weeks – “as a precautionary move to strengthen our regional defense posture against the North Korean regional ballistic missile threat.”
The news release said the U.S. “continues to urge the North Korean leadership to cease provocative threats and choose the path of peace by complying with its international obligations. The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and stands ready to defend U.S. territory, our allies, and our national interests.”
As CNSNews.com reported, the North Korean leader recently displayed a map showing his preferred missile targets, including Hawaii and various locations in the continental United States.
“It only takes being wrong once, and I don’t want to be the secretary of defense that was wrong once,” Hagel said Wednesday at the National Defense University at Fort McNair in Washington. “We will continue to take these threats seriously. I hope the North will ratchet this very dangerous rhetoric down.”