New Orleans police misconduct cases around Katrina
A series of investigations by the Justice Department's civil rights division resulted in charges last year against 20 current or former New Orleans police officers, mostly for alleged misconduct in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which struck Aug. 29, 2005. The following is a summary of the investigations and the status of each case.
DANZIGER BRIDGE SHOOTINGS
Five current or former officers were convicted Friday of civil rights charges in deadly shootings on a New Orleans bridge less than a week after the 2005 storm. Officers shot six people, two fatally, on the Danziger Bridge. Jurors found one officer fatally shot a mentally disabled man, but said it didn't amount to murder. That officer and three others were convicted in the death of a 17-year-old man, but none was found individually responsible for his killing. Prosecutors said officers planted a gun, fabricated witnesses and falsified reports to make the shootings appear justified. Five former officers pleaded guilty to participating in a cover-up and cooperated with the government's probe. Another former officer charged in last year's indictment is scheduled to be tried separately later this year.
BURNED BODY IN A CAR
In December 2010, a jury convicted a former officer of manslaughter for fatally shooting 31-year-old Henry Glover outside a strip mall several days after Katrina's landfall. A different officer was convicted of burning Glover's body in a car. Jurors convicted a third officer of writing a false report on the shooting, but a judge later granted him a new trial based on evidence that surfaced after the first one. Prosecutors are appealing that decision. Jurors in the first trial also acquitted two other defendants.
CONVENTION CENTER SHOOTING
A trial is scheduled to start Oct. 31 for two officers charged with lying under oath about the fatal shooting of a man outside the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center along the riverfront soon after Katrina. Last year's indictment alleges Officer Ronald Mitchell shot Danny Brumfield, one of thousands of residents who was stranded at the convention center, after he either jumped on the hood of the car that Officer Ray Jones was driving or was struck by the vehicle. The indictment charges Mitchell and Jones with obstruction of justice and perjury for allegedly giving false testimony in a lawsuit filed by Brumfield's wife.
In April, a jury convicted two officers in the fatal beating of a handyman in July 2005, about a month before Katrina struck. Melvin Williams was convicted of beating 48-year-old Raymond Robair to death. His partner that day, Matthew Dean Moore, was convicted of participating in a cover-up. Both officers are scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 15.