HOWELL, Mich. (AP) — A man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists along the Interstate 96 corridor in four southeast Michigan counties pleaded not guilty Thursday to fresh charges, including terrorism.
Authorities have not said what they think the motive is behind the string of shootings that spread fear across a wide swath of southern Michigan in October. Only one injury occurred — a man shot in the buttocks.
Raulie Casteel, a 43-year-old unemployed geologist from the Detroit suburb of Wixom, appeared on a video link during a brief arraignment hearing in Livingston County's 53rd District Court in Howell.
He spoke only briefly, saying "yes, your honor," to questions that Judge John Pikkarainen posed to him.
Defense lawyer Doug Mullkoff entered not-guilty pleas for his client.
Casteel waived his right to a preliminary examination within 14 days. That hearing is in district court and determines whether there is enough evidence to send the case to circuit court for trial.
Pikkarainen ordered bond to remain $2 million. Casteel is awaiting a court-ordered examination at the State Forensic Center to determine if he is mentally competent to stand trial.
The charges filed last week came after Attorney General Bill Schuette said he was taking over local cases at the request of county prosecutors. Casteel faces separate charges in Oakland County.
Mullkoff declined comment after the hearing. Another defense attorney, Charles Groh, said earlier that the fresh charges were nothing new and were based on allegations already made by authorities in Livingston County.