McKinney Case Submitted to Federal Prosecutors

By Randy Hall | July 7, 2008 | 8:22 PM EDT

( - Information regarding a clash between U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.) and an officer of the Capitol Police was forwarded to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C., on Monday, even as supporters of McKinney gathered in Atlanta to decry the incident as racial profiling of a "competent, courageous and committed" congresswoman.

While no warrants have been issued regarding the March 29 confrontation, McKinney's spokesman, Coz Carson, acknowledged that the investigation had been given to federal prosecutors. "We're aware that the wheels are turning in Washington," he said in a press release.

"We have no control over what they decide to do," Carson added. "We will make the appropriate statement and take the appropriate action once we know where they're going."

Even before the case was referred to federal officials, supporters of the congresswoman gathered for a meeting of the Concerned Black Clergy of Metropolitan Atlanta to make statements of their own.

One speaker was the Rev. Darrell Elligan, president of Concerned Black Clergy, who called McKinney "competent, courageous and committed."

"She has our support unconditionally," Elligan said. "She is not a threat to the security of our country."

Other members of the clergy and Georgia elected officials said that the police officers assigned to protect members of Congress should be able to identify them, regardless of whether they're wearing a special pin.

In addition, some speakers accused McKinney's political enemies of using racial profiling against her, as well as politicizing what should have been a minor incident.

When the congresswoman took the stage, she never mentioned last week's confrontation. Instead, she discussed projects and advances made through programs now underway in her district and promised voters she would "stay focused" on her work despite any distractions.

"Rest assured, I am doing the work they sent me to Washington to do," she said. "Nothing is going to keep me away from my responsibilities."

After the event, McKinney took no questions and quickly left the building.

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, McKinney was entering the Longworth House Office Building at about 2:30 p.m. last Wednesday and tried to bypass a metal detector.

An officer with the Capitol Police stopped the six-term congresswoman, who was not wearing the lapel pin that enables members of Congress to enter and exit the building freely. The officer reportedly put his hand on McKinney's arm to get her attention, and she reacted by striking him in the chest.

During a press conference late Friday, the congresswoman accused the Capitol Police officer of "inappropriate touching and stopping of me."

Over the weekend, McKinney attended a number of public events in Atlanta, though she never made any additional comments regarding the incident.

See Earlier Stories:
McKinney: 'I Was Rushing to an Important Meeting...' (March 30, 2006)
Hitting a Police Officer 'No Big Deal?' Republicans Ask (March 31, 2006)
McKinney Accuses Capitol Police of 'Inappropriate Touching' (March 31, 2006)

Make media inquiries or request an interview with Randy Hall.

Subscribe to the free daily E-Brief.

E-mail a comment or news tip to Randy Hall.

Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.