TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Fire has heavily damaged a home in northern Ohio where a mother and three children died earlier this year when they were overcome by fumes from a generator.
Authorities in Toledo tell The Blade newspaper (http://bit.ly/tWHmoA) that the house was vacant when the fire broke out Thursday evening. A cause hasn't been determined.
Neighbors told a fire official that the landlord who pleaded no contest to reckless homicide charges in the March deaths of the four tenants had been working on the house in recent weeks.
The landlord gave the family a generator so it could power a space heater because the rental home didn't have heat or electricity.
Investigators say he didn't intend to harm anyone but knew the dangers of running the generator inside the house.