Currently, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t enforce federal food safety standards on marijuana-infused food products that are available in the few states where marijuana has been legalized.
During a conference call with lawmakers on FDA food labeling on Tuesday, CNSNews.com asked: “Given that the FDA currently doesn’t enforce any federal food safety standards on marijuana-infused foods and with a lot of states obviously changing their marijuana laws -do you think they should require nutritional and informational labeling?”
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) replied, “My suggestion is, that what they ought to do is really deal with these definitions, to lay out what the definitions of what these foods are. So that there isn’t any confusion that surrounds them.”
Sen. Richard Blumethal (D-Conn.) added, “The key principal is accurate, readable, truthful information for consumers. They want to make smart choices and they will make healthy decisions if they’re given information that is understandable. Not only with the sugar but with the other ingredients.”
“I don’t know what regulations they are coming up with in that regard, but whatever is in the food products, we want to know what’s in the food products,” DeLauro said.
DeLauro and Blumenthal held the conference call with reporters to support the “Food Labeling Modernization Act of 2013”.
“The Food Labeling Modernization Act looks at food labeling reform in a comprehensive manner, addressing front-of-package labeling, misleading health claims, and requiring updates to the Nutrition Facts Panel and the ingredient list,” according to a press release on DeLauro’s website.
Since the FDA isn't enforcing federal food safety standards on marijuana food products, local officials in states where marijuana is legal, like Colorado, are attempting to create regulations and labeling requirements for marijuana-infused snacks.
News reports out of Colorado have linked at least one death to edibles and there are reports of a rise in children coming into the emergency room after accidentally eating marijuana-laced products.