CAIRO (AP) — The chief prosecutor in the trial of ousted Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak has said in his closing remarks that the former president should be given the death penalty for the killings of protesters in last year's uprising.
Mustafa Suleiman says Mubarak clearly authorized use of live ammunition and a shoot-to-kill policy against peaceful protesters. Over 800 were killed in the crackdown from Jan. 25 to Feb. 11, 2011.
For this, Suleiman said on Monday, Mubarak and five co-defendants, including his longtime Interior Minister Habib al-Adly, should receive the maximum sentence.
The defense team of the former president, who ruled Egypt for nearly 30 years, is expected to present its closing arguments later this week.