LOS ANGELES (AP) — Doctors sometimes call the anesthesia drug by its nickname — milk of amnesia. Patients are calling it the "Michael Jackson drug."
Ever since propofol was blamed in the singer's death, patients who seldom asked or cared about what kind of sedation they were getting were suddenly peppering their doctors with questions about the potent drug.
While some initially balk at going under, they come around when doctors explain that it is safe when used in a hospital or clinic.
Propofol gained notoriety in 2009 after an autopsy found Jackson died of an overdose. Prosecutors have accused his personal physician of giving the 50-year-old pop icon a lethal dose at the singer's rented Los Angeles mansion.
Dr. Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death.
American Society of Anesthesiologists: http://www.asahq.org
Follow Alicia Chang's coverage at http://twitter.com/SciWriAlicia