CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Hundreds of millions of dollars have been recovered so far in a massive North Carolina-based Ponzi scheme that authorities say attracted more than 1 million investors.
The case involves Rex Venture Group, which operated several online projects. The Securities and Exchange Commission froze the company's assets in August.
Court-appointed receiver Kenneth Bell has filed a document in federal court in Charlotte detailing his expenses. As of Dec. 31, Bell says he has recovered $312 million and has incurred $1.6 million in fees and services for the investigation.
The SEC says the company, operated by Paul Burks of Lexington, ran a $600 million Ponzi scam, where money from new investors is used to pay out old ones.
Burks is paying a $4 million penalty and cooperating with the SEC.