New Orleans (AP) - The
Attorney Kenneth Feinberg said the Gulf Coast Claims Facility used "various data and expert reports" to determine that a 30 percent recovery is likely in 2011 with full recovery in 2012. He notes, however, that oyster harvesting will take longer.
The fund was set up by BP
Feinberg has faced repeated criticism about the slow pace of payments and the small size of checks to victims.
He announced his draft proposal on Wednesday for how final settlements will be paid, based on the recovery assessment. Under the proposal, claimants will receive twice their documented 2010 losses. Oyster harvesters will be offered four times their documented 2010 losses.
Documents released by Feinberg on Wednesday show he based the assessment largely on expert reports from a Texas professor and a consulting firm to determine the long-term impacts to seafood harvests, the tourism industry and the overall Gulf economy.
"I think I have canvassed the universe," Feinberg said.
A two-week public comment period runs through Feb. 16 to give people an opportunity to comment on the payment proposal before it is made final.
He's considering suing and calls Feinberg's assessment of recovery a guessing game.
"It's just all uncertain. We still don't know how long it will take perceptions to heal across the country," Ladner said. "We may have certain species come back within a few years, but that doesn't mean the nation is going to feel safe buying it."
Feinberg acknowledges nothing is certain, but agrees with the assessment that recovery is at least likely in 2012.
"I am comfortable with what I am doing today," he said. "Nobody is required to take a final payment. If people think I am wrong, I urge them to opt for the interim payment."
Those who aren't ready to take a final settlement can instead file for interim quarterly payments through August 2013, provided they can show proof of continued losses. Claimants can also file for a quick cash one-time payment of $5,000 for individuals and $25,000 for businesses, but they would have to give up their right to anymore money or to sue any responsible party. The same release is required for a final settlement. About 90,000 people have taken the quick cash. About 92,000 claimants are so far seeking final settlements.
Early on, the process first allowed for claimants to seek six-month emergency payments to help keep them afloat, but many weren't satisfied with what they received and felt the requirements were too cumbersome.
Under the new guidelines for final settlements, those documentation requirements would be even "more rigorous and exacting than the minimal documentation" previously required, according to the draft methodology.
Tony Kennon, mayor of
"We have businesses handing in 2,000 pages of documents. How much more rigorous can you get other than handing over your first born," Kennon said. "The strategy continues to minimize BP's payout."
Feinberg has repeatedly said he is operating the fund independent of BP's influence. However, of the 92,000 claimants who have already filed for a final settlement, only one company has been paid, and that was after BP intervened.
BP called it a "a unique situation" when it sought a $10 million payment from the fund for a business associate, which Feinberg paid. He later told The Associated Press that claim was never reviewed by the GCCF. BP reached an outside settlement with the business and told Feinberg to make the payment. BP would not disclose the name of the business, citing confidentiality.
Feinberg's law firm had been paid $850,000 a month for its work on the fund, but is currently negotiating a new payment structure to manage it through August 2013.
He said he is mindful of the criticism but he believes the program and his final payment methodology are fair.
"The money is moving freely," Feinberg said.