The National Republican Congressional Committee has released "The Waste List," which is simply a list of ridiculous examples of government spending.
The total value of government waste according to the committee? Well over $18 billion dollars.
Here are a few things your taxpayers dollars are going towards:
- Smokey Bear Balloons:$49,447
- Pentagon weapons funds buy beef jerky:$700,000
- Arcade-style floor mats for gym class:$90,750
- USDA caviar promotion:$300,000
- Contracts for trophies and typewriters:$24,000,000
- Taxpayer funded yacht engines:$489,000
- Taxpayer funded booze:$99,000
- Study on heavy drinking in 30's linked to immaturity:$548,731
- Moroccan pottery classes:$27,000,000
- Department of Energy award for app that already exists:$100,000
- Abandoned homes in New Orleans receive federal funds:$21,600,000
- Paying for veterans' health care twice:$1,000,000,000
- Improper food stamp payments:$4,500,000,000
Those are just the tip of the iceberg. For the full list and descriptions of these projects, click here.