When Tolerance Attacks: The Death Wish Double Standard
If “tolerance” demands respect for diverse viewpoints, why are these self-professed Tolerant People wishing death and destruction upon conservatives who disagree with them?
Just look at what’s in the news right now:
- Actress Ellen Barkin hopes that a hurricane kills “every pro-life, gay-bashing, xenophobic SOB” at the Republican convention,
- Actor Samuel L. Jackson is lamenting that it’s “unfair” that GOP convention was “spared” from being devastated by Tropical Storm Isaac,
- A ‘Kill Mitt Romney’ Facebook page has 27 “likes.”
How is this “tolerance” toward people who are pro-life, believe in traditional marriage, or want lower taxes and less government interference in their lives?
The message here seems clear: In the name of Tolerance, you must conform - or else!
At the same time, we see other Tolerant People accusing conservatives of being the ones who are actually wishing death upon others:
- “Nancy Pelosi: Republicans Want Women To Die On The Floor,”
- “Nancy Pelosi Accuses Republicans Of Trying To Kill Children With E. Coli,”
- “Romney Accused Of Killing Man’s Wife In New Ad.”
And, of course, there’s Rep. Louise Slaughter's (D-NY) declaration that Republicans are “here to kill women.”
Perhaps, these Tolerant People should heed Pres. Bill Clinton’s appeal for “healthy debate, conducted in an atmosphere of mutual respect” as chairman of the Institute For Civil Discourse, which he chairs.
See more "Right Views, Right Now" opinion and analysis.