Today, leading Democrats are criticizing President Donald Trump’s firing of FBI Director, but late last year, they were calling for him to be replaced.
On Tuesday, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called Comey’s dismissal “a mistake” and floated conspiracy theories about its time. Other Democrats in the House and Senate followed suit – but, it wasn’t long ago that they seemed to relish the idea of Trump firing Comey.
Here are five recent examples of Democrats publicly suggesting Comey needed to go, courtesy of Lifezette:
- "I do not have confidence in him any longer," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said of Comey in November of last year.
- "Maybe he's not in the right job," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told CNN last November.
- Clinton adviser James Carville suggested Comey, House Republicans, and the KGB colluded to elect Trump in an October interview on MSNBC.
- Then-Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) told MSNBC last December that "Comey knew and deliberately kept this info a secret” – and, when asked if Comey should resign, replied, “Of course, yes.”
- Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.): "I called on FBI Director James Comey to resign his position," Cohen wrote last November in an op-ed published in The Hill.